RCU Forums - View Single Post - LiPo battery low voltage
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: LiPo battery low voltage

Now that is a new one... is the salt water supposed to eat the metal jacket that encloses the lipo cells? Soaking the cells in tap water will not destroy the battery and make it inert for disposal unless the jacket of each cell is pierced. You should try to discharge the cells before piercing the jacket. A fully charged battery can be a bit dangerous to pierce and can result in flame and a lot of smoke... never do this inside your home unless you enjoy smoke and a metallic taste in you mouth.

I agree with using a tester to insure all cells are functioning before trying to recover the battery by applying a short duration NiCd/NiMH charge to the battery. Then resume with a balance charge designed for LiPos. With a suspect battery, I would monitor the charge 100% of the time and charge in a lipo bag or another fireproof enclosure. I would recommend cycling the battery a few times before flying it. Write down the charge and discharge mahr readings. If the discharge reading is significantly less than 70% of the battery capacity, I would ditch the battery. I would not fly the battery in an expensive plane until proven.

ORIGINAL: jetmech05
If you decide to trash it soak it in salt water for a few days then pitch it