RCU Forums - View Single Post - Has RCM folded?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 04:46 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Has RCM folded?

Hi GG,

When I reach for an old issue of RCM, I can see that it was a different 'magazine' from later years. Some past issues were over 300 pages long! I wonder if it was a combination of the pressure from Advertisers as well as the shift to ARF's that forced them to change their editorial direction, i.e., publishing more palatable product reviews, etc. and less construction and design.

Also, there was a shift away from scratch building and kits as ARF's became more available in the market place. RCM was a magazine that focused on the nuts and bolts of model aerodynamics and construction, which many modelers have gotten away from recently. I think that folks who were entering the hobby at that time found less and less to read about, which was a shame. There was a lot of information in there to help people grow within the hobby.

I'd still like to see someone resurrect the magazine and re-print the relavent articles as well as printing articles about new technology, just to give folks something to make them grow in the hobby. Perhaps even collaborate with some of the editorial content of the 'old' (i.e., Gordon Banks era) RC Report issues.

Bob