RCU Forums - View Single Post - thinking about a dog - impact on contests?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:42 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: thinking about a dog - impact on contests?

I've had my dog Barkley for almost 5 years. He goes everywhere with me. He's been to the Nats three times, been to many local contests over the years. He's never been a problem at any contest that I've been to. He's actually helped my contest expenses because now I only stay at Motel 6 or Super 8 as they have a great pet policy. I have only heard positive comments from the contestants about Barkley. He was even given the Pattern Animal award in D7 one year. I think the contestants at the contests are happier to see Barkley then me!

I think if the dog was not well behaved and made a lot of noise there might be issues. Certainly the owner is responsible for how the dog acts. Barkley is at the field with me whenever I am there. He is used to the flying field environment so he is not surprised by much. I'd like to say that I did a lot of training to get him that way but an awful lot of it is just his nature.

I enjoy his company so much that if I can't have my dog at an event I just won't go to it. And if a particular field is not pet-friendly I can find some other place to fly. But that's just me. My advice is go for it! I think you'll really enjoy the company.

One little Barkley story. 2009 was the first Nats I had Barkley. He was about 9 months old then. Normally at a big contest when I fly I put him on a leash back in the pits. But for my last finals flight I forgot. I was in the middle of my flight when I noticed him walk up to me and lie down at my feet. I then heard a big old yawn come from him! I guess I knew what he thought of everything!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92298.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1826176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76475.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1826177