RCU Forums - View Single Post - Has RCM folded?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Has RCM folded?

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: abelard The magazine was past its prime, getting thinner as the ad dollars faded, and without Dewey working full-time running his baby, it wouldn't have been an easy job to salvage it.
Usually in small businesses, once the motivating force (proprietor, owner) has moved on and relegated the authority to others, unless those others have the same vision and enthusiasm, the effort dies.

Personally, I was always annoyed at the way RCM writers referred to the wives who were putting up with their husbands' expensive hobby: scarcely an issue went by without a gratuitous crack like ''Swipe your wife's steam iron to stick this in place.'' And of course, the cover always featured a silly picture of a young woman holding an airplane while dressed (modestly) for swimming...likely on the assumption that the readers' wives wouldn't let them have Playboy.
I'm thinking that is a humor of a bygone era with the baby boomers. People then were IMO more tolerant of such quips, did not take them to heart. Nowadays, it seems easy to offend anyone with simplest misunderstandings. (Remember when hugging children in school wasn't considered child predation?) People have lost the ability to lighten up.
Keep in mind that many of the authors and readers were WWII, Korea and Vietnam vets. They had a slightly different perspective on life......