RCU Forums - View Single Post - A day that will live in infamy ?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A day that will live in infamy ?

Hi Scot, It think you are just a tad off the mark here.

*sigh*....when did Japan invade China?.... 1937....when did the USA cut the oil supplies to japan? July 1941( that would be 4 years later....and just after the Germans kicked butt in Europe)

Answer: The US and L of N tried unsucessfully to resolve the undeclared Japanese war on China for years. Many believe the Japs wanted the US to get involved in Europe first to weaken the Pacific defenses. We were also quite busy building arms for the impending war in Europe.

Did Roosevelt want to get involved in the the war?......read some history...

Answer: I just didn't read history. I studied it in High School and College. I only speak of the facts that I know. Roosevelt knew that his "Quarantine" wouldn't work and that direct US involvement was inevitable. On Dec. 7th, 1941 Churchill was elated that he would now have a strong ally. Hitlers declaration of war on the US hastened the process.

as for getting some of those battle ships back up and running......thats called propaganda....they were just gun platforms....how long did the USA keep those prewar battle ships in service after the war?.....they were gone in a year...

Answer: Almost all war materials were "Moth-balled" in '46, Planes, tanks, subs, ships..... The battleships were never "Gone" but some were scrapped to steel plants years later. The NJ was recommisioned and retruned from the ghost fleet 3 times. The New Mexico served until 1956. The NJ was finally decomissioned in 1991. That is not "gone in one year" in my book.

.the Battle of Taranto in November 1940 proved that an attack on a port with aircraft could destroy ships in that port....so was it a surprise attack?

Answer: Just because something has be done before doesn't preclude it form being a surpise to someone else. Do you really believe this was not a suprise attack? Or a sneak attack?

The bottom line is we all interpret things differently. A fact is a Fact...un-changeable and subject to credible verification. Opinions are what we as individuals choose to believe. Thanks to all those Veterans who fought for liberty....we can have our freedom of speach.