RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seidel 7-70 radial: Help me decide!
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Spuetz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seidel 7-70 radial: Help me decide!

Hi Don,

I must say I am at a loss here. The glow action you describe is definitely sufficient what with the plugs glowing visibly pink.
So it must be the fuel.
My carb needleis opened exactly two full turns.
As for the fuel system - to clear-up the misunderstandings: The "breather line" is the same as the "vent" - just a different name, I guess. So I have the normal setup: one line for fueling, one vent and one to the carb. The one for fuelingI have attached to a self-closing fuel valve. The vent connects to a pressure nipple on my self-built collector ring. What I do is that I pinch the vent line shut WHILE I am fuelling with an electric fuel pump. That way the tanks gets over-pressured. No air can leave the tank because the vent line is shut. This way fuel is pressed into the carb. In any case I have found that putting fuel into the carb is not enough - however you do it - with a syringe or by blowing into the vent or with my method. You also MUST turn over the prop WHILEputting the fuel into the carb, so the fuel gets sucked into the cylinders.

Exchanging the carb? Well, I don't think that that would be necessary.

How much it the throttle open when you try to start the engine? I have had problems startin the engine because Ihad trimmed the throttle to a very low idle rpm (below 1000 rpm) during the last flight. Now when Itried to start again, it was just too much closed.... In that case either bring the trim forward or just advance the throttle a couple of clicks. It won't start if not open enough.

Cheers, Martin