RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dalotel Build
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Dalotel Build

ORIGINAL: MTK
Suggestion... If you have the male mold ready but not quite finished yet, you can do a quick finish job with adhesive backed Teflon tape. Just stick it to the male mold, smoothing as you add more pieces. For simple molds, I use 2'' wide material and for more complicated, I use 3/4'' wide, striping the tape if you will. You want a reasonable surface underneath that won't telegraph too much

The cured epoxy will no stick and it pops right off with minimal effort. But before you pop it off, sand it and prime it at least.
Matt,

I don't want to take this fine Dalo build down a turn with my questions but I appreciate the reply and suggestions. I can appreciate wanting to sand the part on the male plug but what's the need to prime it at that point? I was considering laying up 2-3 in a row one after another and then paint them at a later point in time.

The part I have in mind is a small conical shaped cowl. The plug would be made from a frame of lite-ply filled in between with white foam sanded to contour. I take it no glass or paint on the plug itself is needed if I stick on some Teflon tape? That would save some time... Do you have a link for the Teflon tape stuff? I know plumbers use it but it's not the sticky backed kind.

David