RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOO MUCH POWER?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOO MUCH POWER?

ORIGINAL: marwen1

I kind of thought that might be the case. but then again, I really don't have the desire to use a 4 banger. Just too many parts for things to go wrong. On the other hand, I do like the overall sound of a 4 stroke.

" It was designed to make it's power at a very high RPM. To get to that RPM you would have to run a 10X9 or so prop " (quote)

if I'm not too far wrong, I really won't need that much POWER!.. In essence, I'm simply trying to use what I've got on hand. If I run that beast at only a fraction of what is't capable of, I should be OK. Also, instead of a 2 blade. a 3- bladed prop will give me more torque.

marwen1
Remember that a 3 blader requires more tork from the engine to turn well without bogging the engine down.

If you are thinking Evolution 60 glow, go for it. A 66" span model would need to be pretty heavy, like 12 pounds, to give you fits. If it comes in at reasonable weight say around 7 pounds or so, the 60 will have ample beans. You didn't say anything about wing area or weight at least not where I read. If you have, please disregard.

The Rossi 81 DF engine will put out about the same HP at full revs as a DLE55, close to 6 hp. Of course it is swinging a small diameter large pitch at high revs where the DLE is swinging much much larger diameter and lower pitch at moderately low rpm. Each is intended for different applications. With the Rossi, you might be able to stretch the pipe and run a bit lower rpm but then again it isn't designed (porting timing) to turn lower revs.

You might want to play with it on the bench and see first hand what it can and can't give you. Plus you will learn its character and its tune habits or manners if you will. Good luck with your project