RCU Forums - View Single Post - Don Smith Cessna T-50
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 PM
rhsmrt50

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Don Smith Cessna T-50

David, if you want to go the gas route ......consider the Zenoa G-26, unless you want a four-cycle and the sound of it.............Murphey has installed the G-26 and thinks they are reliable, ........I, on the other hand opted for the Saito 150glo four-cycle.......this engine also fits within the confines of the cowl........but just barley.........the cowl has a nine inch radius.....the height of the Saitofrom centerline to top ofvalve cover is also nine inches......a glove fit............I have since decided to install a pair of OS Gemini 160twins......my reasons are many...........first of all, I havea friend named Ross....and.......he flewthese engines as far back as twenty years ago!!!.......he did not keep a log on the engine hours, but he did on theamount of fuel they consumed over their lifetime...... how about eighty gallons!!....( they are still in perfect shape).....

......as far a reliability goes, another160 after consuming sixty gallons blew a jug in midflight...........the engine kept running and Ross brought her down and even txied to the pit.........now thats reliability...

....as mentioned above my first reason was reliability......my second reason is ease of installation and space within the cowls....since these are twins the cylinders are smaller and not quite so tall allowing for plenty of space around the engine..........

My third reason is that when installed vertically opposed they work perfectly with the configuration of the dummy Jacobs L4-MB seven cylinder engine, in that the top cylinder can be made removable for flight....and the bottom cylinder of the OS will have a natural air passage between the two bottom cylinders of the dummy engine............But, I am going the full scale route, detail, detail detail...etc.

.....My final reason is, that beautiful sound of those twins at idle.............remember, you'll have four cylinders throbbing away....:"sweet"

Rich.....