RCU Forums - View Single Post - C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

I was out in Tenerife a couple of weeks ago and went flying with Ruyman. He is a very acomplished pilot but the day we went flying there was a strong 90 deg crosswind on their very short and narrow runway and he decided not to fly the Ultraflash but we did fly a Habu and a horrifically quick electric pylon racer which was nearly as fast as a Flash.

It is me who has been encouraging him to try a little less flap and a small amount of crow because that is the way I fly my Ultraflash. I totally agree with Dave that it doesn't NEED crow but what I have found as a very experienced F3A pilot but low time turbine pilot that coupled with a little less flap, it helps to extend the safe landing speed window. Without it I found I had to hit the correct airspeed exactly or I would end up with a stall and drop from a couple of feet or a too high speed touchdown. The end result of either is a nose to tail bounce down the runway that doesn't do your wing tips any good. I think once my energy management improves it might be possible to put back another 20mm of flap and maybe remove the crow to have an even slower touchdown or steeper approach but on the sites I fly at I'm happy with the 80mm flap 6mm crow setup I have now.

Malcolm