RCU Forums - View Single Post - C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 AM
HAMMERDOWN
My Feedback: (100)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

I had 350+ flights on my CF with no damage. After selling it and building a UF I had about 50-50 of what i would call successful landings. I got tired of repairing the wing tips (and other things) and hung it up and flew other airplanes for almost a year. At BITW I asked for Ali to take a look at it. The only changes he made was decrease my flap throw from the factory recommended setting and added crow. I didn't do it for any reason except to get the thing back on the runway safely. Every airframe has different flight characteristics. That's the reason the FAA requires dual instruction when making a change even from a Cessna 172 to a 182. The CF and UF have different landing characteristics and for me, the instruction manual wasn't enough. I now make a level or slightly nose down approach (like a full scale and unlike the instruction manual) and flare. I was in the habit of a nose high approach because the CF liked. The UF seems to slow more quickly and, without adding the correct amount of power, would stall. The landing speed envelope was very small. The combination of the adjustments and a more level descent made this my favorite airplane again. With a proper approach, it almost lands itself. I'm sure I could now land it without crow but it works for me and I'm not going back. Thanks Ali!

Omega PowerSportsLLC.