RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)
Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Fidelity:

I had a set of their air up/spring down units in an F-4 Phantom (prop in the nose). The valve they included in the kit was too restrictive, wouldn't let the air out of the units fast enough, and consequently they hung up on almost anything, sometimes nothing at all. I made several gear up landings before figuring this out and going to a less restrictive valve. (I think I ended up using one of their gear door valves. Push it and it lets all the air out of things.)

Then I had a set of mains for a 60 size Mustang, big ones, 3/8 OD robo struts. All they did was bend like crazy, even on takeoff. I'd make a takeoff, and end up with a gear up landing because one or the other would bend and get bound up on the wheel well. These were air down, and the slightest thing would hang them up, even at 120psi in the system. That's what caused me to swear off air retracts for good. Never again.

Finally, my TF Mustang 60 ARF came with a set of crap mechanical retracts, and I replaced them with Robart HDs because those are the only 85 degree mechanical retracts on the market, and at the time, Eflite didn't have the 60 size electrics available. Robart manufactured those retracts such that the set screw cannot be turned in far enough to engage the slot on the wire legs, so the dang things won't stay put and nothing but trouble, trouble, trouble.

I'm convinced the people at Robart never test anything before they market it, and won't ever buy any of their products again. I'd have to say I've never been more thoroughly disgusted with a supplier than I am with Robart.