RCU Forums - View Single Post - Norbert Rauch Airliners for 2013
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Norbert Rauch Airliners for 2013

I have been building the 727 for years, I start and stop, and go back and forth, but finally have something that looks like an airliner. I used the 1/16 balsa to sheet mine. I sheeted the foam tube (fuse) with two large sheets which I had built using 4" wide planks. which I had sanded. I wet them with ammonia and held them in place with giant rubber bands while the glue set up. The fuse is very rigid and strong. I glassed this and then attached the tail and nose sections. Where they joined I layed up a few layers of fiberglass cloth to reinforce the joint. A little filler and lots of sanding made a very nice transition and you cannot tell where the two meet.
The rauch plans leave a lot to the imagination and requires some building skills, and it is not for the someone who is not interested in complexity. At this point I am happy with the results and one day soon I plan on getting the paint on her and getting her in the air. The scale and size of these planes is just right. I can't wait to see how you progress I am sure yours will go much faster than mine. I am tuned in and watching,