RCU Forums - View Single Post - Norbert Rauch Airliners for 2013
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Norbert Rauch Airliners for 2013

This is great guys! Any and all ideas and other projects that you guys would like to post about these airliners, PLEASE DO SO. I don't want anyone to think this is a specific build thread. I will post my build pics here, but maybe we can all keep ourselves motivated to not only start these projects but to maiden them.

As far as wing mounting systems, I agree it's one of the big questions. There are many options. My thoughts run the gamut from a simple 2 piece wing that detaches at the center and mounts to the fuselage like any simple large model... to a 2 piece wing that detaches at the fuselage sides. I've also considered and looked closely at a 2 piece wing that detaches at the main landing gear mounts (the inboard wing is fixed to the fuse and is no wider than the aft stabilizers - this option makes for easy assembly at the field). But I think I'm favoring a 2 piece plug in wing where the wing panels start at the fuselage sides. Wing tubes - a root rib and a false rib at the end of the tubes is a good option with backup spars over the top and bottom of the tube. Attachment options can be simple clamp fittings mounted in the fuselage on a couple equipment formers. Those would clamp onto the carbon fiber tubes like on a lot of the ARF's.

The other question is 2 or 1 piece fuselage, and removable stabs or not. It can get pretty complex and each mounting system is going to add weight. I like the idea of a smaller vehicle required to transport the model though. A 1 piece fuselage at 142" would be great during the build but I doubt I would ever be happy with that after the build!

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I just sheeted a rocket glider wing with 1/32, it is surprisingly strong. I glued the edges together the same way I would 1/16, sanded, it worked out fine. Of course I did vacuum bag to the cores, and it was just a simple wing but it is plenty strong.
I scratch built a 60" Convair 580 and later a P-3 Orion using 1/32 balsa laminate over foam core about 10 - 12 years ago and they were incredibly strong and light. 1/32" is great and provides plenty of tensile strength. But I was pretty careful about sanding transitions and was using 400 grit! The old article for the Convair 580: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=Convair+580