View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Norbert Rauch Airliners for 2013

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

I am contemplating using a plastic peel for a smooth finish.

I've done it before and it works AWESOME!

You have to use a .014" mylar film though. Depending on the sharpness of the Leading edge, it may or may not wrap around it nicely. I had this issue on a speed 400 style pylon racer I vac. bagged some 1K spread tow carbon fiber onto. I cut the mylars to the shape of the wing panels, then edge'd the LE's together and ran some clear packing tape down it. the mylars were then waxed with some Partall #7 paste wax. I then painted the mylars.

The some wax paper was sprayed with 3m77 spray adhesive VERY lightly. This wax paper was a little longer than the wing panel. this was placed onto the CF cloth (3m sprayed side touching the CF). Then this "stack" of wax paper/CF was cut so it was one piece of CF that went from the TE of the wing panel, wrapped around the LE and then back to the TE of the wing panel (again, once continuous piece!). Then the bare CF side was covered in mixed epoxy and fully wetted out (i intentionally let the resin build up on the CF cloth more than necessary). After it was wet out, I took some paper towel and blotted up the excess resin.

Then the wet CF side was placed down onto the painted mylars and the edges all aligned. Then the wax paper was removed. Then the wing pas placed onto the mylar/CF stack with the TE's aligned. The other (top) part of the mylar was folded over onto the top of the wing. The whole thing then had 3 layers of paper towels put on top and bottom of the wing mylars. It was then placed in a vacuum bag and the entire "stack' of stuff placed in the foam shucks and the shucks weighted down. then about 5-6" of vacuum was applied to the vacuum bag.

What I ended up was this:

The Horizontal stab (solid 3/32" balsa) was done the same way:

And the completed project. Does around 165mph on a 3s 1300mah lipo (2 1/2 minutes of blister fun!) and is only 30 1/2" wingspan..