View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Norbert Rauch Airliners for 2013

ORIGINAL: Props4ever
Eddie,
Why not just apply 4oz fiberglass cloth...
WOW. Sameer! This is an amazing effort, I absolutely love what you have done on your Connie! Not only did you build an amazing machine but you saved your friends coffee before the engine run up Your excitement in the video is shared by all of us I am certain.

I have glassed directly over bare foam for the fuselages of my CV-580 and my P-3. I first filled the voids with filler, then used light glass cloth however, and simply "painted on" the resin in the typical modeling fashion. Followed that process up by filling weave and painting and many eons of sanding in between.

How exactly did you go from bare foam to glass? Did you apply any sort of vacuum bagging techniques? Did you fill the voids of the foam with light spakle filler first, before glassing? I really like the idea of saving the weight of the balsa and glue; and the expense of the balsa. But I wonder, can you tell me is the finished surface of the Connie as durable as you would like or is it still a bit fragile with 4 oz cloth? What is the size of your Connie again for the weight? You say the weight includes your power system and batteries?

PS, your nose gear work is truly epic on that Connie. Well done Sam! And you have me thinking a lot again about the basics of my project. This is good, thank you. PPS - please attach a link to your build thread for others to see.

ORIGINAL: invertmast
I've done it before and it works AWESOME!
Very good information, thank you. I can see using these techniques to fabricate a lot of components!!