View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Jetlegend Mig 29 Fulcrum

ORIGINAL: JohnMac

Chris I understand,
To make this model scale would be a huge effort. The wing is slightly the wrong shape (though not by much) but the section is nothing like a real Mig. It is a vey fat section which limits the models speed. The tailplane does not have the swept pivot system, let alone the lack of anhedral.
The list goes on and on. So it's not really a scale model.
On the other hand, JL have tackled a popular but difficult to model prototype in a pragmatic way, and at a good price point. There are a few issues (which ARTF doesn't?) but it is worth persevering, due to the way it flies.
In my loft I have a bare airframe of a Mig 29 from the Ukrainian kit. This is 100% scale. When I get around to this model there will be a huge amount of work to build it, but it will fly as well as the JL model as well as being faster. I will probably use a set of JL undercarriage if it will fit.
Besides this model and the CARF version, I do not know of any other scale mig 29's.
John
I also have the UKR Jets Mig 29 9-13 kit. This model was designed and made by a former employee of Mig. He was asked to make a display model for the company to use at trade shows. This is the most accurate Mig 29 you can find. The only issue I have with it is that its the hump back version which is representative of the Mig variant with extra fuel capacity. My favorite Mig 29 is the UB two seater.
The surfce detail on this model is second to none, truely museum scale. The composite work is outstanding.

Other than that the next best Mig 29 is the Fiber Classics/CARF version.

The down side to both of these is that they are older designs and both require twin engines. The funny thing is the UKR Jets Mig uses servo actuated landing gear, high torque servos are needed. Kind of ahead of its time considering the trend in powered retracts these days. The struts are a light weight molded nylon with metal parts so tought but light weight.

My understanding is that the Skymaster Mig 29 is based on the UKR Jets Mig. So if this is true then its the next best choice for a newer single engine Mig 29. The landing gear seem to be very nice as well.

I would like to see the other Migs in person and watch them fly. I understand the typical character of the Mig 29 is to float on approach to landing which makes sense to me.