RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

ORIGINAL: Ken448

Hi,

Been a while since Ive been around here. But once again, Ive been hijacked by the RC World (always good to be back!)
Anyhoo, first purchase was a debate between the Merv and the XS. Went with the MERV. Its a fun truck, but too small for the speed its capable (or not) of.
THEN, my nephew showed up with his Flux XS yesterday for some tuning and play time. Had a blast! SOOOO I placed my order last night for the XS. My main question is 3s. Will the ESC tolerate 3s on occasion? Or is there still an issue? 2s is fine, and its almost as quick as my MERV on 3s, BUT if I have it (and it DOES fit) Why not use it!?!

Any must-have upgrades?? Or repairs out of the box? Diffs require shimming. etc?
Things I noticed about the XS yesterday.
Servo is JUNK but I have a replacement that is overkill but itll work better in the truck than it does in my pit box.
Gear mesh seems WAY Tight. After reading through the manual, I noticed the fixed gear adjustments (odd)
Tires are SLIPPERY on anything but grass and DRY pavement (MERV hooks pretty much anywhere)
Is the ESC programmable using Castle Link? Punch control is needed, as is dialing down the brakes instead of using the radio's EPA
-Yes the XS can run on 3s, I'm pretty sure they have fixed that issue. I can only tell you that running 3s will be crazy. It is very uncontrollable unless you have a good throttle finger to control the wheelies. It will even flip over at 3/4 throttle on 3s. 2s is a perfect balance or speed and torque.
-I never shimmed my diffs, and have had no problems.
-Servo, you can do whatever you want with, user preference.
-I've never touched my gear mesh till i tor the tranny down. I think that is again another user preference.
-Stock tires do suck. I have upgraded to Pro-Line badlands. Good all around tire, grip on every surfaceand does not wear fast at all.
-The esc is programmable.

I love my XS, for the size, it can do a lot. It has proven durable as well. I have seen many instances where people have regretted buying the MERV over the XS, so you are not the first to have that vision. Weakpoints I have noticed are drive cups at tranny, and drive cups that go into the front and rear diffs. And depending on how you drive it, for example massive jumps, the rear upright may break. I have only broken one and I have beat the hell out of mine.