RCU Forums - View Single Post - Turbocharged nitro engines
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 01:10 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turbocharged nitro engines

ORIGINAL: i8tweety

One thing to keep in mind relative to the potential lean condition as boost is increased. Intake air speed is not what is increased (may have marginal increase), air density is. Without an appreciable air speed increase, no increase in siphon effect for fuel delivery. Additionally, increased air density will reduce the pressure differential between the fuel needle and air venturi, providing even less fuel to the engine than without boost.

air speed should increase due to the increase in pressure differential between the crankcase and atmosphere..............You must rember my test will be tuning against a fixed atmospheric pressure.... there will be no rise in boost as the RPM increases like a traditional boosted system.... all I am going to do is slowly increase the pressure of the atmosphere the engine breathes as I dyno test.... I will test at 14. 7 PSI, then test at 15.7..then test at 16.7, then at 18, 20, 24.... whatever I want..... ..I will not be fixed to any one carb setting, i will adjust as needed...... It is not like I am expecting to tune the carb at average atmosphere then be able to run double the pressure without resetting my needles........... I will have absolute total control over the pressure of the atmosphere with great accuracy..i can increase it only 1 PSI over standard all the way up to 150 PSI......... 1 PSI over standard is a smaller difference then going from sea level to 5000 Feet above sea level..... these engines tune quite fine at all altitudes...... I will not be doing anything different then running the test 5000 feet below sea level...just a heavier atmosphere...... You will see there is no real limit to the density of the atmosphere these engines can run, the whole loop scavenging system doesn't stop working the moment you go over 14.7 PSI LOL..... it will work just the same at 15.7 PSI as it does 14.7 PSI and it will work just the same at 18.7 PSI and so on and so on.... As we increase pressures I am sure we will have little tweaks to adjust.....however I have full control over my fuel pressure and fuel flow so its no issue... by encasing the carb we will eliminate any ballooning issues with the carb boot... Anyways its a very simple test that will definitely put a end to all the arguments about how a 2 stroke can't be boosted because the intake and exhaust are open at the same time....you all know what I think of that theory, so I will let it rest for now ! ....