RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/5 Scale T-34? Sure why not.
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/5 Scale T-34? Sure why not.

I like the camo/gray color scheme on the T34B very much but I personally would not put that scheme on an R/C aircraft I was going to fly. Would want something that wouldn't disappear from my eyesight when viewed from the ground. Just my two cents but I would want something on that plane, some color, that would visually pop out to make it easier to track in the sky. Blue fuze, yellow wings - something like that. White with orange.

You can't go wrong with the Top Flite T34B for a kit to build but I would suggest being conscious about weight. If this is your first scale build don't assume you have to glass it simply because you see alot of guys on RCU glassing their planes. I would use Ultracote.

I put .75 ounce cloth with oil-based polyurethane and ended up with a strong, heavy airframe. With an O.S. 1.20 4-stroke for power it was not a blazing fast performer. A Saito 1.80 4-stroke would've been a better choice as heavy as it was.

I sold that plance but I had so much fun building it I would like to do it again. This time I'll build it lighter, cover in Ultracote, then put an AXI 5330/18 electric motor with 10s Lipos. That particular electric power is kinda heavy. There was a guy from Belgium (Netherlands?) whose user name was "Chielles" I think. He had an excellent T34B with landing lights, retracts, everything. His was electric power on 8s. Do a search on "Chielles".

Have fun.