RCU Forums - View Single Post - First kit suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: First kit suggestions?

If as you say, you are not an experienced builder, the Sig 1/6 Cubs can be a hadful and can certainly test your patience. Great motivation is recommended to complete your project.

You'll aslo need a bunch of hardware that is not included. There is a reason that it is considerably lower priced than the others.

While the structure is quite strong when completed and the planes are very durable and fly very well (I've build several - both clipped and full span wings), they leave a lot to be figured out in construction and assembly for the inexperienced. For instance, there is only sketchy info on attaching the lift struts and installing the radio.

You also need to be able to handle soldering to assemble the landing gear wires.

The GP Cubs are a much easier assembly but a lot further from scale. I picked up a smashed ARF which I rebuilt , including the entire cabin assembly, and converted to clipped wing.

The Goldberg Anniversary Cub comes from the lite ply kit era. So it's a tough, heavier plane. Most people I knew flew them on 2 stroke 60 engines.

Had a Sig 1/5 Cub too. While a bit bigger, a very easy building and close to scale appearance plane.

Yes. they all fly great - which means very much like a full scale Cub. So you need to remember that you have and use rudder, especially on take off. You can also stall and drop a wing on take off if you don't build up a bit of airspeed first before trying cowboy antics. Same thing in the air. You can fly so slowly that they will stall a wing (tip stall).

In any case, you'll learn a lot from both building and flying whichever you choose.