RCU Forums - View Single Post - CDI gr8flyer55
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 AM
stewccm500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CDI gr8flyer55

hi, all at rc univers. can anyone help with a cdi problem ? i have some understanding of electronics, but i need some more detailed help. i have seen that the rc world of clever people can make a cdi run very eficiently from a small dc supply. all i need is the power supply part of this to run an old british scrambler bike (ccm500 made in 1979, origional cdi ran from small alternator, rectifyed to 3-10 volt dc, powered an inifficent socillator to charge a capacitor and give the spark. timing is by a lucas rita magnetic pick up on cam shaft, shape and size of blade, coil inductance etc automaticly gives very good timig advance/ ret, triggering a sensitive thyristor for spark) it only just worked ! kick over speed is very slow (11/1 comp ratio, castor oil in winter !) a similar better syestem was avalible as an option with re-chargeable batteres, but this was all in a very big box with a ht lead comming out of it. i have tryed improving the origional system but to buy and modify a modern cdi box is probably the way to go.
thanks stew.