RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric, glow, gasser. Just choose one
Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Electric, glow, gasser. Just choose one

I fly all three, but partitioned by size. My largest ones are gassers, just three so far. Two are DLE-30 and one is DLE-55. These planes are 72" and up. I have about 15 glow planes, almost all 4 stroke, and they are from 52FS to 180FS size. The larger glow planes overlap into gas engine range, such as my Giles 202 with OS 160FX. Then I have a very few electric planes and choppers that are small. To me, I gotta have the sound of a plane to make it a complete experience....not just a whir and whoosh. Nothing against that, but I personally need the putter or roar of the glow or gas engines to make me smile. Especially in a warbird. And how about that first glow exhaust aroma on the first startup in the morning at the field! I like it as much as bacon frying or coffee percolating when you wake up! Regarding spending months getting a glow or gas engine to run right...hmmmm. I agree you should go with electric. It's ok because to tell the truth, I don't get all the sophisticated battery technology and handling, so it goes both ways. In the end, ALL power sources are enjoyable. Jon