RCU Forums - View Single Post - do ailerons provide lift?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: do ailerons provide lift?

ORIGINAL: chadxp1

I was looking at my partialy completed plane and noticed how much larger the wing looks when I hold the ailerons up to it. (they are not installed yet). I understand the function of the ailerons is to control or direct the air flow ( i guess), but does it provide lift when in the nuetral state?
1. Draw yourself an airfoil. Now draw a straight line between the absolute farterest poins, the Leading Edge and the Trailing Edge. That is your Chord Line.

2. When there is air-flow about the wing, there is a change of total (static + dynamic) pressure around the airfoil. Airflow increases dynamic pressure. Static pressure remains the same and thus LIFT is increased. Lift is a function of air-mass density x angle of attack(AOA) x 1/2 of velocity squared, X surface area. Notice the item AOA which is the difference between the free air flow and the CHORD LINE of the wing.

3. Ailerons are part of the surface area. Therefore they contribute to Total Lift function.

4. Draw yourself an airplane fuse, going away, wing, tail, just a circle with lines extended to emulate wings and stab and vertical stab. Draw an arrow straight up over the fuse.. That is "Lift" in straight flight. Draw another line straight down of equal length. That is weight (gravity, whatever) Now draw another line of same length in a bank angle, let's use 60 degrees. Notice the straight down line will be the same. Now make a right triangle of the UP line. It now has a short length of UP. That is the applied lift against gravity. The long line is the force of the lift vector pulling the airplane in the turn. The pilot now has to increase up elevator to lengthen the "up" line so the lift equals the gravity line down.
To maintain level flight at a given speed, lift will equal weight (gravity called 1 G). In a 60 degree bank the applied elevator force has to provide 2 Gs (twice the gravity).
Since the increase of elevator loads the wing to provide additional lift, it also increases drag using the same formula. Therefore to maintain the same altitude and airspeed to keep the lift formula satisfied, will create a need for more AOA and thrust.

5. A pilot has no control over air mass density nor the weight at that time. He has control over AOA and thrust. As an RC sport-pilot, you only need to consider those two functions.
a. More wing area, less weight effect, flies better. More speed, more lift, pilot can slow down or trim nose-down to reduce AOA.
b. In bank, if you slow, you need considerably more AOA. If you get too much AOA, the static pressure air can separate from wing surface, and model stalls. Level wings, Increase SPEED, then gently apply elevator up to recover. BTW, stalls can happen at ANY airspeed, NOT just slow. Pilots practice such.
c. Airspeed - velocity is the main character in the lift equation. You can increase it by decreasing AOA , nosing down or adding power. You can decrease it by any opposite to increase.

AILERONS: Can be set to perform many functions. On other than symetrical wing airfoils, 2-5 degrees up on each makes for a much better flying machine. 1-3 doesn;t hurt for sym. airfoils depending on the use of the model. Your choice. That is a whole 'nother lesson plan!!

Please pardon typos. Need to go!
I FLY airplanes not computers!!