RCU Forums - View Single Post - SAITO FG-30 4-stroke gas engine ignition
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: SAITO FG-30 4-stroke gas engine ignition

ORIGINAL: earlwb

I think it is most unfortunate if someone has to upgrade a gas Saito engine to use the CH Ignition along with a new gas carb too. That is like adding $160.00 to the overall cost for the engine which is already quite expensive. I think it would be better to just convert a glow engine over to gas ignition instead.
What's so unfortunate is that Saito could have had the most overwhelming model engine market of all time by using a more universal ignition system and carburetor.

Instead, they choose to use proprietary or more or less captive and exclusive components only available from Saito and then charge four prices for the complete components and and not offer any spare parts. They may have Walbro carburetors but you can not get any parts for the carburetor models they use or even any documentation from any of the normal parts sources except Saito. And even then, Saito doesn't have carburetor or ignition parts - just the entire component at inflated prices. Note that even the smaller Saito gas engines with the Saito (no regulator) carburetor (It was designed by a former Walbro engineer) - what parts you can get are very expensive.

The newest versions may even have RCEXL ignitions but they won't admit it or even offer any individual parts for the ignition.

Saito still wants to use the odd ball Saito spark plug in the smaller gas engines with the 1/4-32 spark plug. This requires a special cap. The Saito 1/4-32 spark plug has the ceramic breakdown that results in low reliability.

Meanwhile, the model airplane world has gone on around Saito and Saito has lost significant market share whereas it had the potential for significant market gain.

Saito left themselves wide open for loss of market share and people changing the Saito parts that do not work well.

Most people found out the hard way that the engine was a trouble magnet until it was modified.

I have three SG versions and two glow engines that were changed over to gas.

A good running Saito gas engine certainly is a beauty - what sound they have.