RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

My questions to Dick about his photos and his answer follows.
( Dick and I live about four hours apart, so we don't get togather very often)

Hi Dick,
That looks pretty good. So, where did you find the this, soft, pig skin? That looks like it might have a suede type of finish. I'm not being picky, well, maybe a little, but most of the photos I've seen of the Waco comibing appear to be a hard finish.
What was the purpose of the two rings of blue tape in the first photo? And what did you put under the leather to give it the cushioned look? It appears you may have the stitch holes marked off on the outer piece of tape. What was the inner piece for?
I'm beginning to close in on the finishing steps of my Waco.
Thanks for the photos.. They do give me a few ideas!

Joe -
The leather was courtesy of a friend. However, you can find thin leather at Michaels (a craft store) which should be OK, too (I almost bought a piece before my friend gave me a piece). I will be darkening mine later to make it more authentic looking. My leather was attached in the same number of sections and has the same number of eyelets as the full size a/c shown in my pictures.
Briefly, the two blue pieces of tape (3M) are guide lines for the where the leather and eyelet holes are later placed. The cushioned look as you say is from a piece ‘Foremost’ rubber cockpit combing that’s glued in place first. Following this, the outer edge of the leather is glued in place, then rolled over the combing and glued to the cockpit's inside deck. Holes for the eyelets were then drilled through the leather/cockpit deck/inside leather/ etc aligned and spaced where you see the marks on the outer blue tape. Following this, eyelets were inserted and laced. You could also use fuel line (slit down its center) instead of the Foremost combing.
It was important to do the steps in the correct order, as well as use the proper glue when attaching the leather. I used a craft type glue bought in Michaels, called ‘Aleens’s Tacky Glue’. Great stuff...sets up guickly and holds well. Has many uses...
Good luck with whatever you finally decide on... I know it will be nice!
Dick