RCU Forums - View Single Post - Southern R/C bootlegger plan
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 12:42 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Southern R/C bootlegger plan

ORIGINAL: Roguedog
I noticed that since the BL was using foam cores that the plans showed a taper along the LE and TE's of both the wing and stab. The final version I'll post will be based on the orignal root shapes with the following mod for easier building, the leading and trailing edges will be uniform instead of tapered as in the original plan. Some may not like this but it's a very slight mod from the orginal and does not change the foil much. It will make the build very much faster in that you won't have to shape and sand the crap out of those portions to reproduce the tapered LE and TE on the wing and stab.
Bryan,

I should note that my captured comments regarding airfoil in the above are not related to how you chose to design the LE and TE thickness of the surfaces - that's something all together different. Just want to make sure we're not mixing apples and oranges. As far as using a constant thickness LE and TE along the span of the surfaces (if I understand you correctly), that's obviously a personal choice. I believe this makes a significant difference to how a model flies (particularly LE shape and taper). In my experience, producing span tapered LE's, TE's and ailerons is a non-issue, whether foam core or built-up. The amount of sanding required is minimal (ailerons aside) and I don't even notice whether I'm sanding a constant or variable thickness span; I just use the rib (or core) design to track the sanding. It is of course easier to design a framed up wing with LE and TE that are not captured by sheeting (Japanese classic style) as one then uses the sheeting as a datum to sand the LE and TE to correct taper. Basically the same as one does with a foam core wing.

Still, these are modified Boot's (to different degrees) so we can do anything we like.

Those using foam core wouldn't have the same problem as the taper would be built into the cores. For those that opt for the built up version it will be very simple to glue up and sand to shape as the LE and TE's will be the same dimesion the whole cord of the wing and stab if using the plan I've been working on
When you say the "whole cord", you mean the whole span I assume?

It's great that you are developing a framed up wing and stab as I started to work on foam core plans so the two options may be available. There's not that much to what I'm doing other than producing proper airfoil templates for root and tip. As mentioned in recent posts, I'm pretty much done but I'm not sold on the stab airfoil. An ever so slight modification would bring it inline with the type of continuous airfoil stab that the Deception has. The issue is, to do it or not. I'm hesitant because maybe this inflection is more important than I might think...

As for the fuse, I'm keen on using Julio's glass deck as it not only makes construction much simpler and less work but it also provides for a more heat resistant compartment for the header and pipe. Of course, your built up canopy design is a great option for those who prefer a full wood frame up - a bit like Matt did on his original Arrow (I believe he used a section of thin aluminum for the pipe tunnel itself).

David