RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jemco P-47 Razorback
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Jemco P-47 Razorback

ORIGINAL: glazier808

''Years ago, when I started this build, a product called Presto was available. It was self-adhesive, but far less sophisticated than the aluminum foils we have now. That is what I used on this P-47. Each scale panel was individually cut out and applied. The whole system is lighter because it didn't require glassing as does the foils we use today. ''

I don't think that presto is still available, there are quite a number of foil tapes offered today. Also HVAC tape works very well. I've used this for areas that I'll chip back to show aluminum.

Casey
Right on Casey. The reason I liked the Presto is that it did not require glassing, as does the modern foil products. Presto was self adhesive, buy applied with an iron just like covering, but it did not shrink. The iron just melted the adhesive. The ABS parts like the razor back were a challenge due to their sensitivity to heat.

She still hangs right where it was when this picture was taken, and I dream of finishing it one day. However, I have decided to convert her to electric, and pull the old Roam retracts and convert them to electric as well and loose the whole air system. I'll need to pull the old 72mhs system out and update that as well..............some day.

I'll be watching this thread for sure. This is a very nice P-47 and very authentic.