RCU Forums - View Single Post - My son and I soloed yesterday!
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 09:32 AM
3D Flyer
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My son and I soloed yesterday!

Update:

My son and I have gotten many solo flights in since our solo date. We are having a blast. We both love to do touch and goes, and takeoff and landings. My last 3 flights I was doing loops, rolls, tail slides, and some split S's. It was a lot of fun.

Some things we have learned:
1. Don't fly when it is getting close to dark. VERY easy to loose perspective.
2. My son can't fly when its semi-dark rain type clouds out as it is not bright enough for him to see the plane well and he looses perspective.
3. Never look or fly directly into the sun.
(I needed to save the plane for my son when he made this mistake)
4. Our low-end idle adjustment gets richer on certain days requiring more time for the throttle to spool up on transition. (you need to account for this when landing)
5. Rubberbands can lose strength throughout the day. I now pre-flight the strength of them EVERY flight as my plane will hook to the right if the bands are loose at all.
6. Different days require different landing approaches depending if the air is dense or not. Sometimes the plane will float, other times on different days it will not float as much. You need to adjust to the changing conditions.

We are learning and have a ton of fun. I'll keep you all posted as time progresses.