RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can I get anything decent for under $300?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Can I get anything decent for under $300?

with the exception of the mini slash, I wouldnt own any of the 1/16 vxl's. and the mini slash I would only own in brushed form.
why, any thing smaller than 1/10 that can do better than 30mph just sucks (my opinion)
and I have little use for a brushess model that cant handle grass or rough terrain.
Ive had a mini summit vxl. I was pumped, expecting a sweet mini that could go alot of places, would have speed and be fun. I spent more time walking over to the model and putting it back on its wheels than anything else.
Stock shocks fall apart as well.

Id own the mini slash brushed version because for a mini it handles well and has a nice scale look. It leans nice like the bigger trucks. But again, make it brushless and that handling goes to crap.

ANY model, no matter how expensive or what brand makes it, will need repairs at some point. And most every model has a weakness known to anywone who has owned it.
DF-02, the front suspension arm mounts snap off (requiring a whole new chassis) but the fix is simple with some longer suspension pins that tie into the rest of the chassis.
The tornado epx pro lacks a slipper clutch. these means if you dont know how to drive you will end up with broken driveline parts. There is also to much play with the dogbones (fuel line tube fixes that) and the stock servos are so-so. Some die kinda quick, mine has lasted many packs. Upgrade metal gear servos are cheap tho.
There are owners of the savage flux who are replacing diffs. Thats a pricey truck to have to replace diffs on. For that kinda money youd think the would build a driveline that could handle the power better.

But thats my point. NO model, no matter how expensive is without issues.
And lets face it guys, the RC companies do this on purpose. They make more money on parts then they do on the models! I mean, you can buy a traxxas rustler vxl for a bit over $300....but to replace the vxl system alone is $150. See where the profit is there for them?

to the OP, review youtube vids of the models in your price range. vids always help me decide if I want a model or not.