RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can I get anything decent for under $300?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Can I get anything decent for under $300?

ORIGINAL: kyleshrub

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
what in the world did he break on it, and what in the world did he do to it? Hell was it even assembled right? Also how did he break it 2X in one day if you said you can't get parts? Was it broken that hodge podged together so something else would break?
I've owned my one over 2 years, another about 1.5 years, and only big thing I broke out of both of them was I snapped a chassis over a year ago on my brushless one(which has been since reinforced to not snap again) when I slammed it into a wall cause I couldn't stop it on the loose dirt it was on.
My nephew has also owned one for 2 years, and his is almost 100% stock (I've done one slight mod last summer to prevent the chassis break like on mine) with no broken parts. Hell my nephew snapped his pede's arms off, but his DF-02 still is in one piece.

I will say there are 3 known issues with the DF-02(that are easily fixable) one is the fork is too short which causes the wheels to rip the hinge off the chassis if you hit it just right(its fixable for $5 and 10 mins of time). Another is front shock tower is a little weak the major issue is the issue that develops is due to the alum front shock tower, as it will need either the fiber glass one to put over it, or one cut out of metal to put over the alum one to not crack the front bulkhead off when it takes a hit(I don't count this as an issue as it is one that deveolops after using a non-stock part). Third I had was shocks shafts were made of too soft of a metal that you just swap shocks you can get decent shocks for $10-15 a pair, but some people after I got mine said their shocks were fine and didn't bend so maybe Tamiya changed the metal or I got a bad batch.
It's irrelevant, the fact of the matter is that he did.
Even you're saying that there are ''3 known issues with the DF-02.''
Why should anyone invest in an RC in which there are known problems the manufacturer won't even fix or address?
Wow making friends so soon?
irrelevant? says who? you? Syco was just asking how he did it, is that to much to ask?
he clearly has more experance than u with the DF02 and by the looks is intrested in knowing any problems that people have had.
For some strange reson u got all defencive, that just makes me suspisious
u ask why would anyone invest in a rc car with knowen problems, them u reccomend a car with heapes more knowen problems lol... and the funny thing is yet again syco has more experance than u do with the MERV. Some day with any luck u might workout every rc car has knowen problems, just not knowen to u obviously...

Will say the stock shocks in the kit are kinda dumpy, and the front shock tower isn't the greatest(but upgrades exist, and are pretty cheap) but outside those its not a bad RC.
Upgrades are available for everything, that's out long enough.
Did u figure that out all by ur self. ur reply is irrelevant to syco's point, but im glad u are on the ball with that one, thanks for sharing
'

Also notice in my post I said about parts support being somewhat of a pain as I said getting the parts from japan or china is faster, and cheaper than getting them from tamiyaUSA...
But that's the old argument of local parts support.
While no hobby shop has every part every time, but there's sure a better shot of being able to get something traxxas at the local hobby shop than there is getting anything tamiya.
LMAO are u serious, sorry dont meant to laugh but thats funny. traxxas fan boy? how many hobby shops have u been to? feel free to list the one u have been to, ill call them so we can see if u are talking out ur.......

As for the merv it SUCKS off road in grass. Unless its a well maintained lawn its going to blow. Dirt it should handle fine, Its also nothing spectacular stock, and requires a quite a bit of tuning to make it not handle like complete crap. Trust me I own one, and honestly tried selling it for a quite a bit of a discount 12 mins after I ran it. After I failed to sell it I threw $60 into upgrades, and almost have it working fine, as I still need new knuckle hubs as the stock traxxas ones are pieces of crap that caused my rear wheel to wobble cause the stupid retainer clip popped out(and is not even really held in good in the 1st place). Also the chassis will break from jumps as its extremely thin at points. So yes if you plan on plunking $40+ more down in parts, and taking a nice day to swap parts it might be good.
Wait a second, one second you say the DF-02 handles like crap because its shocks need replacing and in the next breath you're saying the merv suck off road in the grass? Who drives just in the grass? That's hardly a decent measure of a car's worth. And people have been thrashing these mervs since they came out, and your problems tell me you either go a lemon or have no patience, because I haven't heard or read of the complaints you have.
maby u havent been in the hobby for long enough? try google do u need help with what keywords to use when searching for traxxas merv problems?

As for shopping online whats the difference if you wait 3-4 days to get it to your door, or wait 3-4 days for the hobby shop to get it?
I've need parts for my pede 4X4, and merv and my LHS told me 3-4 days... Went home got the part 10% cheaper shipped, and got it in 2. LHS parts support I don't see as counting for anything now a days seeing most don't even stock a good chunk of parts.
I seriously doubt you're able to get something in 3-4 days from japan or china.
I can... wanna put ur money where ur mouth is? $10 bet?

Edit:
BTW not calling you a liar on the DF-02 breaking I'm seriously curious what he broke. I'll be honest there's a lemon in every RC I've had 2 MT1's one would break every run no matter what was done, where the other would slam walls full throttle and break nothing. Same thing with other RC's my Jammin .5crt I cracked both C-hubs in half on the 1st run hitting nothing ppl were like WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT I'VE DONE <blank and='''' blank=''''> AND NEVER BROKE ONE. Did I hold it against the model? NO I just chalked it up to getting a dud part. Now if you see repeated people having issues with a particular RC, and there is no way to fix it then yes feel free to call it a piece of crap like the over priced Brama 10b.
Parts break on everything. Apparently you're only a basher, so maybe that's part of your problem. Otherwise that's why I suggested to the original poster to increase their budget, so they'd have the funds to replace what does break.
"ur only a basher" do u think u are somewhat better? what is ur point? are u some hardcore racer?

well theres multiple reasons to own multiples lol
I really don't know of anybody, other than you I guess (if that counts), that owns multiple models of the same vehicle. It's not only cost prohibitive for the new or even average hobbyist, but it's a bit impractical.

</blank>
Do u even read the forums? I can think of heapes of guys on here with multiple models with the same chassis, hell even me.
ur replys just make u sound like you cant understand why some people might have multiple models with the same chassis, thats just sad []

I think its just trying to personally attack syco, good luck with that, all it will do is ruin ur chances of a good reputation and respect

Sorry I had to comment, im not trying to start a argument, im just replying to ur posts in the same manner as u did to syco because he was been very poilte and does not deserve ur crap

Looking through all of ur posts, why are u here? areu helping people are just attacking them?