RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Saito 4 Cycle Gas Engine, 3 Cyl FG-84
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Saito 4 Cycle Gas Engine, 3 Cyl FG-84

ORIGINAL: Kinner

Thanks for that vid. Seeing the large ring about the hub, was that a TCSA?

I've set my TCSA on my .91 at about 2BTC for start up and up to 25 BTC or so (memory fade here) at WOT. Using a nice Dynathrust 15-8 and/or 16-8 for the flywheel effect, I got a respectable 1K idle.

I would love to see the TCSA return as it allows the modeler to set up his own preferrences as to timing.

Ray W

That particular CDI system is the 1st series of Synchrospark CDI. It replaced the TCSA. That system has been in 2 pretty severe crashes, one of them straight in @ WOT on the nose of my original Sr Telemaster W/an FA150 in the nose. It has outlasted 2 airframes & the original FA150 that it was used on.

What you are seeing is the delrin ring that hold the trigger magnet. The Hall sensor faces forward in those old systems. They now face downward & the magnet passes under the hall sensor instead of in front of it.

The TCSA is antiquated design. If you want less timing advance @ idle, it can be built into the module.

Adrian is still pretty conservative in is spark advance settings. He is understanably hesitant W/otherv peoples engines.

I have been doing this since 1997. In EVERY instance, W/saito engines running on methanol fuel, more ignition timing in the 34-36* BTDC range has resulted in more power W/O any ill affects.

W/methanol,there will be a point beyond the maximum RPM advance value where there will be no increase in RPM, but no detonation either. The trick is to creep up on that & then back off to the minimum advance setting that still produces the most RPM. That is usually around 35* BTDC. Yiour engine will be perfectly happy @ thatb advance setting.

When setting up performance automotive engines, maximum advance is usually @ 36* BTDC on premium unleaded gas. Our small air cololed engine have a hard time coping W/that burning gasoline due to hotter CHT. Methanol reduces CHT & is much higher in octane thus reducing detonation substatially.