RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can I get anything decent for under $300?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Can I get anything decent for under $300?

ORIGINAL: kyleshrub

It's irrelevant, the fact of the matter is that he did.
Even you're saying that there are ''3 known issues with the DF-02.''
Why should anyone invest in an RC in which there are known problems the manufacturer won't even fix or address?
Ok why buy a merv known issues chassis cracks cause its too thin at spots that develop from jumping it, known fix T-bone racing plate(that looks ugly IMO).($40)
Shocks are too soft, needs stiffer springs, and shock oil (only cheap part to swap like $6-$9)
knuckles suck, and are prone to having the o piece pop out, fix $20 a set aluminum ones (currently planning on ordering)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
Will say the stock shocks in the kit are kinda dumpy, and the front shock tower isn't the greatest(but upgrades exist, and are pretty cheap) but outside those its not a bad RC.
Upgrades are available for everything, that's out long enough.
not 100% true I know a few RC that there are none, or if they exist they don't fit as some half ass company relabeled a part for a diff RC for it

Also notice in my post I said about parts support being somewhat of a pain as I said getting the parts from japan or china is faster, and cheaper than getting them from tamiyaUSA...
But that's the old argument of local parts support.
While no hobby shop has every part every time, but there's sure a better shot of being able to get something traxxas at the local hobby shop than there is getting anything tamiya.
depends on hobby shop the one I sometimes go to has a fair amount of tamiya parts, just they don't carry DF-02 parts. If I need a tt-01e part they got them all
As for the merv it SUCKS off road in grass. Unless its a well maintained lawn its going to blow. Dirt it should handle fine, Its also nothing spectacular stock, and requires a quite a bit of tuning to make it not handle like complete crap. Trust me I own one, and honestly tried selling it for a quite a bit of a discount 12 mins after I ran it. After I failed to sell it I threw $60 into upgrades, and almost have it working fine, as I still need new knuckle hubs as the stock traxxas ones are pieces of crap that caused my rear wheel to wobble cause the stupid retainer clip popped out(and is not even really held in good in the 1st place). Also the chassis will break from jumps as its extremely thin at points. So yes if you plan on plunking $40+ more down in parts, and taking a nice day to swap parts it might be good.
Wait a second, one second you say the DF-02 handles like crap because its shocks need replacing and in the next breath you're saying the merv suck off road in the grass? Who drives just in the grass? That's hardly a decent measure of a car's worth. And people have been thrashing these mervs since they came out, and your problems tell me you either go a lemon or have no patience, because I haven't heard or read of the complaints you have.
never said the DF-02 handled like crap don't know where you read that I said the stock shocks were kind of dumpy, and the shafts prone to bending (at least on the one I got my nephews are still stock but his was a RTR version so might be a diff part used)

As for shopping online whats the difference if you wait 3-4 days to get it to your door, or wait 3-4 days for the hobby shop to get it?
I've need parts for my pede 4X4, and merv and my LHS told me 3-4 days... Went home got the part 10% cheaper shipped, and got it in 2. LHS parts support I don't see as counting for anything now a days seeing most don't even stock a good chunk of parts.
I seriously doubt you're able to get something in 3-4 days from japan or china.
have actually was quite shocked the japanese dealer I dealt with was pretty much on the ball. I've also got parts from china in 4 days(rare, but it has happened)

Edit:
BTW not calling you a liar on the DF-02 breaking I'm seriously curious what he broke. I'll be honest there's a lemon in every RC I've had 2 MT1's one would break every run no matter what was done, where the other would slam walls full throttle and break nothing. Same thing with other RC's my Jammin .5crt I cracked both C-hubs in half on the 1st run hitting nothing ppl were like WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT I'VE DONE <blank and='''' blank=''''> AND NEVER BROKE ONE. Did I hold it against the model? NO I just chalked it up to getting a dud part. Now if you see repeated people having issues with a particular RC, and there is no way to fix it then yes feel free to call it a piece of crap like the over priced Brama 10b.
Parts break on everything. Apparently you're only a basher, so maybe that's part of your problem. Otherwise that's why I suggested to the original poster to increase their budget, so they'd have the funds to replace what does break.
So you are a racer? If he was looking for a race rig I'd not recommend a DF-02, and neither would I recommend a merv. I'd say get a blitz, or an associated, and increase the budget. Also what broke that you are calling the DF-02 crap? Personally it looks like you are just saying it with no response if I call a RC crap I will list why, and in some cases show pictures of the damage. But you said it broke 2 times, but if you had no parts support how could it break 2 times in a day. That was all I asked.
Like I will say the Brama 10b is a steaming pile of crap I have pictures of the chassis cracking from the motor mounts from almost no use(5 minutes stock power). Replaced the chassis it cracked again from the same point, and HPI never fixed the issue, said they had no plans to when I e-mailed them, and from my attempts there also is no way to fix it or reinforce it(that I could figure out, and I spent over $200 trying) outside HPI making it from a stronger material.

well theres multiple reasons to own multiples lol
I really don't know of anybody, other than you I guess (if that counts), that owns multiple models of the same vehicle. It's not only cost prohibitive for the new or even average hobbyist, but it's a bit impractical.
You must not have been in the hobby long. Also hate to break it to you most hobbies are impractical

EDIT: I guess my whole point is that while everyone is going to have an ''opinion'' based on their own personal favorites, it's just that you then twisted it into a Min-Revo trashing post. I don't like getting into these kinds of discussions on other forums, because they go nowhere. So the only reason I weighed in was because your post did bring the Mini-Revo to mind, because it did only because that truck so fit exactly what the original poster called for. Not looking for a fight, just trying add some rational thought to the discussion.
</blank>
Not bashing the merv its not a bad RC once its set up properly, but it costs money to set up properly, and some experience which for the price it should be set up properly out of the box. Also its very limiting in what it can be driven on due to its height. And honestly its probably the hardest RC to work on that I own due to its size, and the design(the size ain't the issue its the way they scaled the design down that makes it hard)