RCU Forums - View Single Post - Caldera 3.0 questions?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM
bbradUSMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Caldera 3.0 questions?

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: bbradUSMC

[
So the fuel helps keep the engine cool then? I am in Hawaii, temps stay between 70-85 here lol. I will keep that in mind when Imake my way back to Texas though in a couple months. I think my buddy has a temp gun.
Also, how long should a glow plug last. I think the engine temp has a lot to do with it, but Iam burning through them very fast. What is the norm for them to last?
What do you think about an E starter? One that has the shaft attatched to it and is hand held. That pull start gets old fast. I already broke the first one and had to buy another because I pulled too hard.

yes, the fuel controls engine temp. The leaner the hotter. Leaner is faster also, have to find a good spot in the middle. The glow plugs are most definately going from one of two things. Either your just too lean and hot which kills plugs, or your continually flooding it which also puts a strain on the plug. Flooding is the other reason your having problems with the pull start. It's easy to understand why everyone wants a ez start when they're new to the hobby. I personally do not like them. It's another thing to carry around with you and keep charged. They can damage the engine also. Once you have some experience, you'll be starting your engine the first or second pull. Remember that when starting your engine if it doesn't start in a few pulls or at least cough or give you some sign that it wants to start within 10 or12 pulls, it's probably not going to start. Stop and see what's to right instead of just pulling and pulling.
Makes sense. I think the combination of breaking in my engine, it was running very rich at that point, and it running too lean when I set it to "stock" setting, is causing my plugs to burn up. I will give it another half turn or so, run it a bt and check the temp. Yesterday I couldn't figure out why it ran all day and then wouldn't start anymore. Turned out my igniter was dead haha. Still learning.