Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: need help with low voltage detection on esc

ORIGINAL: kyleshrub

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: kyleshrub

ORIGINAL: redraceepx

I have a tornado epx pro from redcat racing, Brushless and on a paper it says that the esc can handle a 7.2vnimh, 8.4vnimh, and a 7.4lipo. So i bought a 8.4v and put it in, low voltage detection turned on. can anybody help to stop this
Sounds to me like you have the ESC set to ''lipo mode,'' or it wouldn't detect low voltage. Refer to your user manual on how to turn it off, since you're using a nimh.
There is a way to disable the low voltage detection (lipo mode)
But without the ezrun program card is a huge pain.
Also, at best you will only get an extra minute or so of runtime by doing this. the low voltage detection cuts power when the battery voltage dips below 6.2v. Much lower than that and the nimh battery wont be able to move the truck at speed anyway.
Whats the MAH rating of your 8.4v battery?
Here is the program card: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-LE...item43b1631c18
and here is the ezrun manual: http://site.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing/HW-13-V2.pdf
NIMH batteries, unlike LiPOs, can be run well below 6.2v. In fact, they can be run until the pack is completely dead, and do so with no harm to the battery.
If every NiMH user quit driving their RCs when a LVC (low voltage cutoff) kicked in, they'd lose 50% or more of their runtime.

My advice to the original poster would be to not try and run a brushless system off a NiMH battery, as the LVC kicking in will be but one of your problems.
Get a LiPO, and good luck.

Yeh, I knew that, but...
running a nimh below 6.2v on a BRUSHED setup is fine. But a brushless setup demands more amps.
You dont lose 50% of the possible runtime. At most 1-2 minutes.
After that point, the truck would be so slow there is not point in running it anymore.
If 50% of the runtime were cutoff by the LVC, then redcat wouldnt ship the trucks with LVC on.
So at most, the LVC is cutting off 10-15% of the possible runtime.
These stock 2000mah packs are not high quality race packs. Once they hit 6.2v, there aint much left in them!