RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Saito 4 Cycle Gas Engine, 3 Cyl FG-84
Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Saito 4 Cycle Gas Engine, 3 Cyl FG-84

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

ORIGINAL: BobH

So in the end.. Meth is more powerful and more expensive. You need larger fuel tanks to fly the same amount of time. Not making a judgement here, just pointing the salient differences between the two.

My bud has a Saito 450 in his #36lb Wildcat. It flys the plane but yes it could use more power. Maybe he should consider CDI for the plane.. i know from experience that 200-300 rps with his plane can make a big difference.

Perhaps your bud would be interested in an exchange engine from sr telemaster??
Yeah, I'll bet I could "tune her up" a little W/O a lot of $$$$ outlay.

$300 for a CDI
$40 for 3 spark plugs
$20 for a battery pack/switch

AND if the 300 pistons work to get CR in to 13:1 or higher range:

$120 for 3 FA300T pistons/rings
$115 for the 12mm Big Bore Carb

Less than $600 in part/components to increase HP by 45% (using 30%/8% fuel) W/better fuel economy. Then there's the option of 100% improvement on fuel economy running on straight methanol/8% lube W/a 20% in HP. Get the methanol in bulk for 1/2 the price of gasoline. (if you live where you can do that)

....and 46# of thrust oughta tank that 36# tub around pretty smartly.

I have to spend an hour to clean of the bench & pull a piston from that 300T to see what the compresion hieght is. I've got the 150 parts I need on the workbench. They're "left overs" from my FA180HC CDI project.
That's the old 150 top end that I replaced on the left, the 180 jug that took it's place on the right.

BTW: The wrist pins are common to all 3 engines so that only leaces the compression hieght as the last piece of the puzzle.