RCU Forums - View Single Post - Photos of Carl Golberg and original Falcon 56
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Paul_BB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Photos of Carl Golberg and original Falcon 56

ORIGINAL: rcacro

SGibson wrote
"What year were the photographs taken? Do you remember which radio was used for the first flights? I looks like an old reed system"
Iam not sure of the exact year. Maybe about 1960.
The transmitter Carl is holding is a MIN-X reed system. You can see acorn nut covers on the top that covered the POts that were used to adjust the tone frequencies. We also used a CG reed system in some of the protypes.

Creggar wrote
"In the far right photo, is that a Don Brown Quadraplex transmitter you are using?"
No see comment above. Never did see any Don Brown Quadraplex used in the Chicago area. We went from using reed systems right to proportional. F&M in my case.

Strat2003 wrote
"A couple of side questions.....did Carl actually design the airplane, or just set up some parameters and approve the final result?
Was Carl a physically small guy? He seems to be in lots of the photos I've seen."

No. Carl did not design the airplane. It was lot of my ideas on what a RC airplane should be in that time frame. I had designed and built several shouder wing airplanes before the Falcon. I must credit Dale Root and his Ascender design for the basic layout that I adopted for use in my designs. I was also an accomplised RC flyer and had a basic understanding of electronics.
However, Carl always made me justify my ideas and asked a lot questions about our recommendations. Joe Vermock and some others also contributed to the design effort.
Carl was short in statture but big in mind and a real gentleman. I am sure I learned more from than he did from me. Carl's other expertise was in the area of kit manufacturing and general business.
-
Boberos wrote
Interesting that you mentioned Joe Vermoch.
"Joe designed the 1/2 A ''Jodel'' for Midwest Products who kitted it for a while.
Before that he did a larger Jodel. Do know of any plans available for the larger Jodel? "

Your right about Joe and the Jodel. I still have the 1/2 a sized Jodel I built in collegehanging in my shop.
Attached are pics of the larger Jodel. It flew so well I placed in both scale and pattern in the same contest with the one airplane. I will PM you about some plans I know of.

Thanks to everyone for your interest in this posting. It brings back a lot of memories for me.

John Wisniewski
Hi John,

Thank you for all these explanations. My first rc plane wasthe skylane 42 back in 1976 andtoday the plane I love to fly most is my Super Chipmunk.

On the same note, I was wondering who actually designed the Super Chipmunk, one of the best ever low wing sport plane ?

Regards.

-Paul