RCU Forums - View Single Post - Toe-in or toe-out on a warbird?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Toe-in or toe-out on a warbird?

MY thoughts: A plane's response to toe-in and toe-out do follow the physics as was put forth. However, there are a lot of variables affecting ground characteristics of our RC models that are not accounted for when looking at just toe-in and toe out. I have seen that most wheels are not a perfect fit to the axles and have a lot of play. Many wheels are not drilled perfectly perpendicular to the desired line of rotation and wobble. On most models, the drag on the main wheels are often uneven. Just spin the wheels on any of your planes and it will be the very unusual instance when the two free-wheel the same. Another is that a lot of planes are not very well balanced laterally (though I think this is probably a more minor contributor to ground handling issues?). Also, it's tough to ensure that the angles of both wheels are set up exactly the same in both toe and camber. Landing gears also may flex and torque in ways that effect ground handling. All these variables are harder to determine and account for when setting up your plane for ground handling. Usually, you will need to resort to a more trial and error approach. I suspect that many times, two of the same models may end up using different amounts of toe (in or out) in order to achieve the same ground handling characteristics.

Scott