Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 AM
bilboB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BMFA Jet 'C' Test

ORIGINAL: JohnMac

ORIGINAL: Art ARRO

Brit. Jet Pilots,
The process described was extracted from the AMA's Fixed-Wing Turbine Waiver Application which is used issue a Fixed-Wing Turbine Waiver for R/C turbine operations. A different process is used for Turbine Powered Rotary-Wing (helicopter) R/C models. These flight test maneuvers satisfythe AMA's Safety Committee and our insurance underwriters in the USA.
A similar flight test process is in effect by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) for their Turbine Operator Certificate (TOC),and has just gone in effect for 2013. A TOC is required for Canadian MAACmembers who wish to fly turbine jets in the USA. The TOC also satsfies the insurance underwriters of both countries.
While it would be nice to standardize the processes, I recognize and accept differences across countries that permit R/C model turbine flying. Bring on your comments and or concerns.

Art ARRO, AMATurbine CD & Fixed Wing Waiver holder
Art, In the UK we already have an acheivement scheme. It is a voluntary scheme but many clubs (such as mine) use the "B" certificate as the yardstick by which pilots are measured, particularly when it comes to flying jets. So in my club you cannot be the lead pilot if you only have an A certificate, you must have a B certificate pilot with you and on the same mode in order to fly a jet. In order to fly at a public show with any model type in the UK, you need to hold a B certificate. The C certificate is intended as a aerobatic excellence certificate for jet pilots, that is all.
Our club will, be hosting one of these events on behalf of the BMFA. Personally I am not too interested in it as I do not fly "aerobatic" jets, but scale ones which are somewhat limited in their aerobatic capabilty. However, I am happy to support anyone who does want to go for this certificate, but I am not convinced that the take up will be that high. We shall see.
John
Depending on what you mean by a Public Show you are incorrect I think. If a Club organises a show as we have and do and the public come and attend, the club can deem that 'A' pilots can fly. We believed that you had to Have a B cert but then had a club visit from Manny Williamson of the BMFA and he informed us that we could allow A pilots or indeed Pilots with no cert at all to fly. We have generally decided in our club that A cert pilots can fly at our open events to which some members of the public do attend

We have the same rule for turbine jets as for other models, we see no reason to distinguish between them

Many very good pilots have never taken any certs and that does not make them dangerous pilots, Some B and indeed C cert pilots are on the contary quite dangerous