RCU Forums - View Single Post - My Pattern Hero
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Pattern Hero

Good idea Jim.....

When I was 14 or there abouts I was first introduced to extreme Pattern Flight by Jersey Jim Martin. Jim was in his late 20s then and at the top of the US Pattern World. Just amazing stuff the Banshee and Jim did. My exposure was rather limited to the club I visited (very poor back then and simply couldn't afford to belong to it), but even with the limited exposure, I knew I was witnessing something special. Although that was only one chance meeting, Pattern became my mantra; I just didn't know it yet. Much later, just a couple years ago, I got a chance to actually meet and become friends with Jim...a really humble, nice, warm, funnyman

Later, after college when I got a real job and could actually afford a cheap radio, Bridi kits got me involved in Pattern competition. So I'd have to say that Bridi through his kits was the biggest unwitting influence but I think Jim was the most important influence in retro spect. Soon after, MK kits became available in the early 80s, so Matsuo Kato was another unwitting influence.

When I joined AMA I started to read Ron Van Putte in MA religiously and he influenced me as well. In the early 90's-2000's I flew the FLA circuit and I got to know RVP quite well. Another good ambassador to our sport