RCU Forums - View Single Post - SAMS 2013 Warbird Racing Schedule
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SAMS 2013 Warbird Racing Schedule

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

Ya, I like to fly at the venuejust to get the first flight "jitters" out of the way.
The only beer I drink now is rootbeer.

I like the idea of a BBQ.
So if I bring my M/Home, is it ok to park there?
Are there rooms near by?
Any night flying?
Im thinking some foamy lit up pylon racing on a 100' course?

Nice Mustang Marty!!!

You and Dave both have beautiful planes! I hope you don’t mind me posting the pics here (below), too. That allows me to talk a little more about them without getting the Tucson RCPRO Race thread off-track any further.

So, as I was trying to state in the RCPRO Tuscon thread (as positively as I could), that while some individuals may be race officials in their local venues, and may know exactly what is going on in their area,it does NO good for any of us to have them making comments acting as if they were "in" on the policy discussions and decisions in clubs to which they are not actually a part of, many hundreds of miles away. I have absolutely no problem with either of those airplanes at all! Nor, can I foresee that any of my fellow CDs could ever have so much of a problem with it, that they would ever even consider it not meeting the intent of our races.

The only wing I ever heard any negative mutterings about were the absolutely straight leading edges. And, while some pilots muttered amongst themselves that they didn't feel it was the most appropriate, these wings were not "banned". The Phoenix Models Strega was definitely no longer allowed to complete. SpeedRacer mentioned one modeler made a straight LE wing AND alsochose to mount it to the PM Strega fuse, and found his airframe no longer allowed at the next season's races (last year). Note that it would have been this modelers choice of fuse, and not specifically the wing that was the culprit, here. Those who do not know the facts, and then exacerbate the issue further by misinterpreting and misrepresenting others’ comments as well, start to take us down a confusing and unconstructive path. With luck, this will all be clear now, and we can all simply move on.

So this is definitely a great model! Obvious to me in both Dave's pics and yours, that your wings have the tell-tale double-taper characteristic of most of the P-51 versions. Even if it started out as a World Models P-51, which serve our purposes just fine as-is, I appreciate even further all the extra efforts I can see you made to customize it, and make it more scale: the redesigned elevators and vertical fin, for example. How would SAM’s CDs not be impressed with your work and embrace it?! (See Marty, all that prior anxiety caused needlessly in that other thread over absolutely nothing! And honestly, to what end?)

If you need a motel room, I can look into one for you. I live only 12 mins away, and there are a couple motels close by to me (4 more mins. away). But many park overnight at the site in their RVs. The night before is usually a good get-together and BBQ. So if you won't be indulging in any of my mixed drinks, then I'll be sure that I have a couple of my better non-alcoholic beverages, too. (I think that's how I manage to bribe Shawn's kids to cheer for me!)

Ollie