RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM Dornier DO 335
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Ameisenbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM Dornier DO 335

Hi Guys, The local shop just discounted all their ESM stuff so I succumbed to the temptation. It is likely to be a while before this one flies since I have a few other projects that ought to come first. So far I have the big box plus two spinners. I also have a 120 on the way to go in the front. There will be a  power plant in the back too. The guy in the shop suggtested electric there, I can see the advantage since the motor itself would be quite light and the heavy battery can go well forward. However I can also see a hybrid plant being a pain.

I have idly wondered about the possibility of using IC but putting the aft engine where the big one did, and using an extension shaft  to drive the rear propellor, just like the big one did. The aft engine would have to be inverted and would pick up its cooling air from the convenient scoop provided. Access could be a problem, as could getting enough air in to keep things cool.  If the rear engine can be further forward there might be less need for nose weight. Anyway there will be time to think about this.

Can anyone tell me why the booklet says 11 servos for one engine and 13 for two? I can see that the extra engine needs one for the throttle, what does the other one do? They could also have been a bit more specific about the type of servos. I've read some of this thread, I see there are some servo choices mentioned. I don't want to add more weight than is needed but on the other hand I want good enough servos for the job.

John