airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Guess I am with you or close to it. I just received this from an AMA helper''

2/6/2013

Dear Horrace,

I'm writing today to ask for your help in addressing a very serious concern that appears to be sweeping the country.

As of today, a dozen states in the US have recently begun considering state laws aimed at legislating the use of unmanned aircraft systems ('drones'). These states include California, Florida, Idaho, Maine, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas and Virginia.

The FAA has been tasked with submitting to Congress and making publically available a five-year road map for the introduction of civil UAS into the national airspace system.

As the deadline for the FAA to submit its comprehensive plan to Congress approaches, many states are taking the initiative to draft privacy and civil liberties protections from 'drone' surveillance through state-level legislation. The twelve states listed above all have legislative initiatives in progress, most of them primarily addressing the use of UAS by law enforcement and government entities for persistent surveillance.

However, some of the legislation has troubling language that could have unintended consequences for you and me as aeromodeling enthusiasts.

AMA's Government Relations Team is working to evaluate each piece of legislation as it's being introduced and AMA is taking steps to address these concerns with the sponsors of the bill(s) and the legislative bodies in each state.

AMA is asking that you, as an AMA Leader Member, remain vigilant about any potential legislation you may become aware of in your state and report this to AMA's Government Relations Team. In order to react as quickly as possible we need your help in making us aware and keeping us informed.

Working together we can ensure that model aviation will remain safe from possibly well-intentioned but poorly written legislation. Any information that you believe would be helpful should be emailed to the AMA Government Relations Team at [email protected]. Please regularly visit the Government Relations blog at http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/. Or you may call Chris Brooks, AMA PR Director, at 765-287-1256, ext. 276.

Thank you in advance for your help.

XXXX
Leader Member Program Coordinator
XXXX
I don't think I made any friends but then what's new.

I replied:
>>>>>>
OK, XXX, as it sounds just report any item about Drones to the AMA however it appears that the AMA's
desire either for or against Drones is not well displayed.

My personal position is NO DRONES in the Private Sector of civil aviation of any kind or model aviation of any magnitude. As an airplane driver for 41 years, 13 USAF and 28 UAL, I had numerous encounters with private aviation. In addition to several VERY close encounters with private airplanes, and a couple military machines, I had a number of about 15 +/- bird strikes from just a blood and guts to actual airframe holes. Now these are just those that I saw or felt. I'm confident that some near misses with other aircraft were never seen.

I learned to fly when we were taught how to watch the skies. Today's pilots have no concept of clearing the area. I have a son (retired Lt. Col. USAF) now with United. The whole concept is computer flying, therefore watching outside is not known in today's computer-drivers which I don't care to give them the sacred name of PILOT..
Back in my flying days - ending in 1996 - I was very concerned with the head-in-cockpit of the pilots being hired. MOST ex. military PILOTS were good to excellent. Civil AIRPLANE DRIVERS never had a clue outside the cockpit. About the same for RC fliers. I belong to 3 clubs. I watch the traffic. While many non-aviation background RCers are really good after a few years, there is an alarming portion of RCers that have the proverbial Chip-on-the Shoulder that preclude any listening to us Old F_rts as they designate many of us. Unfortunately there are some ex-military pilots that are too timid to help maintain discipline within a club.

Now with that all said to back up my position, just what does AMA want? Like driving either while texting or being under of the influence, and this generation is NOT improving in either form.
If anyone expects me to back up civil drone flying, they are at the wrong church, much less the right pew. So before I start sending information, I need to know who I am voting for, and their position in the situation.

Horrace Cain

''Peace is the one glorious moment in history when all are standing around reloading.'' Thomas Jefferson

XXXX

I'M WITH HORRACE!