RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ever had a flameout on a twin and care to share?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
stevekott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever had a flameout on a twin and care to share?

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

Steve, great idea. Thinking up loud, I wonder if it will be possible to translate the engine out signal into an elevator gyro "gain". The A-10's could benefit a lot with this, since the gyro may compensate the sudden up pitch. That gyro will have zero gain during the flight, but will kick in with high gain faster than the pilot's recognition of the problem. Again, just a thought !

Jack
Also thinking out loud Jack,

You could use something like this:

hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17143__Simple_Servo_Tester.html

Yank off the potentiometer, then feed it with fixed resistors that are powered with a relay setup powered off the Smoker port or Fuel Solenoid. Normally Closed give it the resistance needed to make the servo driver tell the Gyro to do "Low Gain". In the Normally open (engine quit) give the servo driver the resistance to send the gyro into "High Gain" . Be careful on the Gyro that you don't give it full gain for "Heading Lock" mode.

Side note: I tested my flameout detector last night and it worked pretty well:

www.youtube.com/watch

I don't know if it would save an SM A-10 looks like things happen pretty quickly but within 4 or 5 seconds you will have an alarm and know which motor is taking you to the scene of the crash