RCU Forums - View Single Post - formula offroad, Mkll twin build, pic heavy
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM
mooman007uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: formula offroad, Mkll twin build, pic heavy

been busy, got the axles all done, shafts welded together

front shafts...kaylee flm cvd's cut one side with hex welded on the end...the long side i machined some 4140 down and added the needed length with hex cup on the end...nice and true

had to machine the inside hub bearing hole deeper to line the cvd pin and hub pivot point up

welded the axle housings and put them together..made some stand offs for a proto vertigo/nutech carrier and had to machine some off the centre of a cy clutch case so it'd sit flush

.also made an engine mount rail

next i got the chassis floor outline done then set to work on the driveline

first i machined down an old hurrax fr hub i had laying around

now i can use a hurrax cvd to mount my gear cluster...however it was 7mm too long to fit the cvd shaft and nut so machined material off himoto 30t gear, square, back of large gear hub, cvd shaft where it meets the bearing so the shaft poked thru more

end result all fits,

next was to mount the hub...steel welded to frame on the bottom and aluminum bolted to the clutch carrier on top

then spent about 3 hrs modifying the lawn mower splined shaft, hub, jackshaft etc only to find the lawnmower cvd when shortened didn't give me enough wheel travel/articulation so scrapped all that, moved the chassis/motor forward and bingo the cvd from cluster when lengthened will clear the front of the motor, it'll have a mm or 2 clearance to the coil at full axle twist..

rear shaft set up is easier as it has lots of room to play with

as soon as i finish mounting the rear gear set i can build up the chassis and get the 4 links done