RCU Forums - View Single Post - Google Nexus 10 by Samsung...
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Eman77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Google Nexus 10 by Samsung...

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: Eman77

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

I only have an iPad 1.. ha.. Apple doesn't even support it anymore w/ new OS, I think.. it still runs iOS 5.x or something.. while the iPhone 5 and such are on iOS 6.x already.. that's why I am not an Apple fan.. (got the iPad as a gift, so..) If I were to get a new tablet, I'd probably give the Google one a try...
You're not the only non-Apple fan, but I don't know why that's a unique Apple trait. Windows ditched support for XP (which could only go up to IE8), regularly ties its OS to browser versions, etc.

Or is this different since it's more of a ''I can't install an OS on this hardware'' issue...? Just wondering.
I gave Apple a fair chance, I used an iphone for 3 years until the Galaxy S3 came out and was irresistible (another immensely powerful tool, highly recommended). The problem with Apple is simple. They are corporate usurpers of the consumer in the extreme, and their ultra-overtly capitalist attitude shines through in everything they do. They lost my respect as a company, and when you combine that with proprietary interfaces (as opposed to micro USB on 90% of android devices), lack of external storage options (although the nexus 10 shares that, at least it doesn't charge so much more for its high memory version), and proprietary and frankly irritating (after getting used to Android) inflexible iOS AND ANOTHER THING! What's with the total and utter reliance on itunes, I could go for another paragraph why I hate itunes.

But then again, I am the type of technical user that wants control. My wife doesn't want any of that. She's much better off with an ipad, as are the vast majority, hence its popularity. The fact of it is though, if you care about having something how you want it and are prepared to learn how its done, Android is better in all the meaningful ways.

I think Windows 8 (or maybe 9) might take over the tablet market eventually.
I get what you mean about the control thing (both ways - you want it, feel like Apple hoards it). It's interesting, I had a discussion at work about that. Our 5 year old iMac is still just blazing fast here for our web testing we do - faster than my newer work PC, for example (using multiple browsers).

Not trying to compare apples and oranges here (I know there are things it won't be good at, etc), but just making a point that perhaps because they lock everything down, Apple can optimize things more efficiently for their hardware - so even their old stuff is quite sturdy and efficient.

I'm not really in the love/hate camp to be honest. My mom has an Apple at home, so I'm forced into a support role from time to time, which gets frustrating since I don't know it like I do a PC. But they do make really nice stuff.

I do love their touch interface though, seems very precise to me. As just a casual user for the iPhone as well as music, it suits me just fine - the iTunes thing doesn't bother me at all. I can see how it can frustrate the power-user though, but I'm just not there anymore at this point in my life.

The lack of the ability to just plug in a USB device to store things on is really irritating though. So that part of the "iTunes thing" really bothers me.