RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF FW190 GIANT ARF
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TF FW190 GIANT ARF

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

So far, nobody has addressed painting over monocote.

I know that LustreKote is compatible, but the colors are very limited. They don't even make the flat olive drap anymore.

I have found waterv based acrylics that are available to match the olive drab as well as many other colors that would be useful.
The post right before yours....I did exactly that. I mentioned Ive used Model Masters rattle can paint directly over monocote/ultracote and solartex. Works fine, however,it is best to use a primer coat first IF using a fuel motor. Home Depot sells a large rattle can of primer paint that claims it bonds with plastic. That is the stuff you want to use.
Lustrakote works only so far. While it claims its fuel proof up to 12% glow fuel, it really isnt. Get some oil residue on it and it will start to wipe away from the cleanup. I imagine it might be ok with gas motor as it doesnt have that oil crap in the exhaust.

I dont use lustrakote anymore specifically because ot the above. However, many army surplus stores sell military grade spray paint in black, olive drab, sand, etc. That stuff bonds to everything and doesnt wipe off. And...they are already flat matte colors.