RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great carburator on small 25cc engines ?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great carburator on small 25cc engines ?

Well, having flown myself, and having sold many, many converted weedwhacker, leaf blower, and chain saw engines, I really have to disagree with the posts here. The much vaunted G-26 Zenoah engine is in reality just a converted industrial engine, and it does quite well. As for mounting, the only ones that are possibly problematic are some of the chainsaw engines whereby the engine is part of the entire chainsaw and must be cut out of a complicated housing, but even that is not true of all the chainsaws....

The Echo, Stihl, and Homelite engines are all super easy to mount. The Ryobi engines are only slightly more difficult, in that they need spaced forward; just as the modern DLE, and all the other rear carb "alphabet" engines must be.

I personally have 8 airplanes flying with weedeater, leaf blower, or chainsaw engines, and I can't see why one would buy a Chinese engine of questionable quality and support when you can get better quality for less bucks out of a proven, professional industrial engine. The only caveat nowadays might be that the purpose built engines can have a weight advantage. But for ease of mounting, reliablilty, power, cost, etc., I'll take one of my Echo, Stihl, or Homelite engines any day....

Instead of being embarrassed at the flight field when I tell them my airplane is powered by a weedeater engine, I enjoy the "Wows!" I hear when I put it through its paces...

AV8TOR