RCU Forums - View Single Post - OHH-NOO - Not my old new stock Rossi !
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OHH-NOO - Not my old new stock Rossi !

Yup, my fault entirely...

I had stock piled a New Rossi 60-F1 about thirty years ago and a GP Dirty Birdy 60 Fiber Glass Kit, you know the one without any formers in the fuse along with a set of Spring Air retracts... Did that in 1993.

Well:

A buddy relit the Pattern Bug locally and I of course got bit. So I got started on the DB, he offered to flush and run the Rossi in for me. I'm Ok with that sez I.

First time up and all is fine, Fired up so we warmed it up for a few mins. and shut it down and let the temps equalize for about the same amount of time. Restart and tune it in just a bit to 11,800 on an old Zinger 11x7 and let it sing for a bit. Idles down just fine and great response on the throttle. I'm a happy camper and well proud of that Thirty year Old NOS Rossi 60..

Now that I think about it I should have gotten at least 12,500 or so with that set up. Oh Well, maybe with the new bearings and a bit more run time.

Anyway today, I went to check out the size for a motor mount and happened to turn the Rossi over.........
I knew the minute I felt the little tic..tic..tic of those little ball bearings as they rolled by and over something.

I pulled the rear cover and gave it a shot of lubricated carb cleaner and sure as little green apples are sour, out poured some micro flects of red rust and red colored cleaner.

Here again is a case of Woulda, Coulda and Shoulda but didn't.
Which I did but thought I had, stored and done prentive care. Here again Woulda, Coulda and Shoulda just was not good enough at least in my case.

A quick call to Rossi enlitened me to the fact that he might have the rear one but not the front and recommended that I order a set of High Temp/High Speed Set from BocaBearing.com.

Hope I got the right ones. #ENK-069HP

http://www.bocabearings.com/search.a...0RC&Feature=60

An expensive lesson if you store engines for any length of time esp. thirty years or so.

Yup! My fault entirely !
But will work on the Dirty Birdy 60 in the mean time while I wait.

DinD