RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2.4 ghz interference: It can happen!
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2.4 ghz interference: It can happen!

I was ground testing my just finished 50cc Extra and encountered severe servo glitching on all surfaces as soon as I started the engine. Radio: Hitec Aurora 9 with Optima 9 twin antenna receiver with antennas oriented 90 degrees to each other, dual receiver packs and switches running 7.4 volt Lipoly packs through regulators. All high quality Hitec metal geared servos.

So, I started a trouble shooting procedure; first eliminating all switches, regulators, and batteries by plugging a Nicad flight pack directly into the receiver. No change. So then I moved my ignition battery farther from the receiver. No change, but this time I happened to notice when I leaned down in front of the plane with the transmitter in hand, the glitching got much more severe.

Upon close examination, I could see that the RCEXL spark plug cap had not been properly assembled at the factory. One of the little flaps that bends and folds over to hold the cap halves together was folded over, but had missed holding the other half and was trapped between the cap halves. This resulted in a hair line crack in the cap halves being open. Less than the width of an Exacto knife blade. Since I was running a non resistor plug, enough RF interference was escaping through that tiny gap to cause all the problems. I fixed the cap properly, and the problems went away. Just as added insurance, I later also installed a resistor plug, though with a completely shielded system like the RCEXL, one should not be necessary. I was quite surprised that so much interference could escape from such a tiny gap/area in the spark plug cap. Also, so much for 2.4 Ghz being "immune" to interference as some people like to quote!! "Taint so!!"

Somewhere here in the forum the other day, I noticed someone talking about "booster gap" plugs. I highly recommend that these NOT be used for RC. The booster gap can cause a tremendous amount of RF interference. The only advantage in the booster gap design at any rate is it will fire when the plug is somewhat fouled; not needed in our use. If anyone wonders how the booster gap works, just ask and I'll type it up.

AV8TOR